Thursday, August 7, 2008

I made it....by the skin of my teeth, I made it!




I made it to Portland- woo hoo! I decided to head down to the airport earlier last week to try to increase my chances of getting on a flight and we had a fun filled day at the DFW airport. I got to the gate for the 4:45 flight and can you guess how many people were trying to fly standby to Portland? THIRTY-FIVE PEOPLE!!! I was not too hopeful, buy hey I was there I may as well try. The kids played in the play area and then we were off to the next gate to try for the6:30 flight. We had to hop on the train to get there, but my kids didn't want to get off and since we had some extra time we decided to stay on and ride it allllllll the way around. At one point we were the only people in the train except for a small Asian family and my kids are getting pretty crazy as they often do. A lady gets on the train talking on her cell phone and starts talking to the person on the other end saying "Where are these children's parents, does anyone watch their kids anymore, we are not outside- I can't believe this!" Obviously, I am "these children's" mother since they are not of asian decent, so I smile at her and say "Addyson and Ethan, someone is having a bad day could you please calm down." And, of course they didn't but at least I didn't look like I don't watch my kids right, I tried:)
We didn't get on the 6:30 flight but were bumped up to #3,4, & 5 so I was stoked. Dave picked us up before the 9:30 flight and we went to dinner at Olive Garden- thanks Dave for picking up the tab on that one. We headed back to the airport and I sat and waited and waited for them to call my name and then the I noticed that the cleared list had a whole bunch of names on it and mine was not. I was worried, what happened? A couple of minutes later I heard a page for Wendy Lee to get her tickets at the gate and I head over rather quickly and the lady looks at me like, what? I say "Wendy Lee, you just called my name?" She said, "I called your name a long time ago, several times and you never responded so I passed you up and gave the seats away." I was almost in tears, I was there the whole time and I never heard my name called. Then she proceeds to say that I was lucky, she was giving me the last 3 seats on the plane but we would not be sitting together. Whew, I about had a heart attack! Addy was a little freaked that she wouldn't be sitting close to me and I was afraid she might have a breakdown, but was relieved when I looked at who she would be sitting by, this super sweet lady that was sitting by us while we waited at the gate. When Addyson saw her she instantly calmed down and sat in her seat. Her name was Kelly and she was a 2nd grade teacher- she was wonderful with Addyson, she even gave her a stuffed animal of hers that some friends had given her for her birthday 2 days earlier. Ethan and I ended up being able to sit together and we had a great a flight, the kids were very sleepy! I had a fantastic time in Oregon and am so glad that I was able to go. Hopefully this weekend I will post pictures and details.

5 comments:

hoLLy said...

so glad you made it! what a stressful day at the airport-i would've cried.

4sweetboys1princess said...

That's awesome that it all worked out. I used to have to fly standby like that when my aunt worked for American Airlines. I never had to do it with kids though!

-Melissa- said...

glad it all worked out! I don't know how you do that with 3 kids. You are super mom!

Cyndi and Alyssa said...

HA! I love the "someone is having a bad day comment" I think I will use it! One day a lady at McDonalds' made a comment about Alyssa not having shoes on and still getting to have an ice cream cone. HELLO this is freakin McDonald's in Princeton and it's 100 degrees out!!! Do you think I care??? Losers!

apentrev said...

Ok- I did the standby thing once with Koebe and didn't realize until we were about to board that we might not get to sit next to each other- he was 2! It all worked out, so I don't know how you did it with 3 kids!