Saturday, May 31, 2008
To get Lasik or not to get Lasik, that is the question!???
As most of you know, I am among those who require assistance in the vision department. I wake up in the morning and I have to immediately put my glasses on or pop my contacts in to be able to see very far in front of me. My glasses are completely bent out of shape, I can't keep them from falling off of my face! My contacts dry out and bug the crap out of me most of the day- Texas allergies only make it 10x worse! My eye Dr. says that I have to get disposable contacts because(okay, I don't really know why)he just says so. So, every 6 months I am supposed to spend about $150-$200 on contact lenses and every 2 years I have to spend $165 on a new exam. I have officially run out of disposables and my 2 years is up so I am looking at spending at least $300 to get new contacts. Day after day I hear commercials on the radio about Lasik, "we offer interest free financing, monthly payments as low as $30." Oh, I want it bad!!!! I know that Lasik would probably cost somewhere between $2,000 and $3,000 but won't I end up spending that anyway? Wouldn't it be so much better to spend it on the convenience of good vision everyday, morning & night? I have to make a decision now, and I am torn. I want the Lasik but do I have $2,000-$3,000 to spend- no way! Do I really have the $ to spend $300- $600 a year on contacts, (not to mention I need new glasses)- NO, but it is easier to swallow for sure! What would you do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Get the Lasik, I want it soooooo bad! I think you will be happier never having to deal with contacts again.
I would get lasik! Just because you never know when you have to replace glasses in an emergency situation and so on. Once you do lasik, it's over. No more spending after you're finally done paying for it. Aaron's brother had it done last July. He was pretty much blind without his glasses. He flew out here and went to Dr. Boothe. It was $3800 for both his eyes. He does the $30/month no interest plan. He was pretty shocked with the amazing results and doesn't regret doing it. He only saw Dr. Boothe the day of surgery and the rest is handled by his office. He had to go to a long orientation thing (or consultation...whatever). Anyway, that's all I know about it. $30/month no interest sounds pretty good to me and then when you have more cash on hand (future tax refunds, etc.) you can pay more.
I would go Lasik too. :) As long as your a good canidate, I would say do it! Good luck!
I would get the Lasik. I would love to get Lasik surgery. I agree it would be nice to wake up and be able to see in the morning. Maybe one day when we have some extra dough! :)
I just went through getting new glasses and really didn't even think about lasik til after I already got them. I should have thought of it before. i really want it, but for some reason I keep putting it off. $$ is one good reason, but in the long run it is cheaper than glasses and contacts. A lot of places have payment plans too so it is more affordable. The other thing is what if they mess up on me and then I can't see anymore? I know that is super paranoid, but I worry about that. The last thing is that you will have to wear reading glasses eventually. This is probably a long way off, but that stinks to know that correcting one thing will just lead to me wearing glasses again later.But the flip of that is not haivng to wear any for probably like 20 years. So in the end I guess my vote would be to go for it. I can't justify it now till these glasses wear out.
i have the same dilemma. sounds like everyone is for lasik, though. my thing (besides money, of course!) is the idea of someone using a laser on my eye. totally grosses me out, and i know recoveries supposed to be pretty fast, but i get worried about that too. now that i've added to your worries and haven't solved a thing... :)
I bet in the long run you will be happy you did it. My aunt loves hers and had a great experience.
i can't help ya. the only thing perfect about me is my vision:) if i had bad vision though, i would definitely consider lasik. i've heard many many success stories!
I'm in the Holly club. 20/10 vision (at least that was before 2 kids). I don't know enough about Lasik, but I heard this on the radio once:
http://www.program-for-better-vision.com/?gclid=COyO3YTl3pMCFR4sagodXlxjVg
Not sure if it actually works...
Well, I made an appointment with Dr. Boothe! My appointment in on Monday but it is like 3 hours- yuck! So, as long as I can pawn my kids off on someone I am well on my way to getting the surgery. They said once I get the consultation I can have surgery as early as Thursday or Friday. Yea!
good luck wendy! i left this comment to you on my blog, but thought, hmmm, she probably won't go looking back through my comments so i'll leave it on your blog too-
"wendy-aubrey told me about addyson not feeling well and having to leave school early:( i'm sorry that happened! how is she feeling today? thanks for the nice things you said about aubrey:) that was really sweet of you. i need to drop off addyson's report card to you. i didn't know mrs. mccormack put it in aubrey's folder until yesterday evening! it doesn't have the actual report card in it because of some error the school encountered(we'll get them in the mail soon), but there is the social skills/work habit sheet and a coupon for a kids meal at el fenix inside. well, thats whats in aubreys anyways. i'll run it by your place today!"
Yay! I think I might be jealous :) Let me know if you need me to take kids. I am free after 10:30 that day.
Post a Comment