Saturday, June 14, 2008

I did it!

This is what my cornea looked like during surgery- weird!
I did it, I got Lasik! I still can't believe it, it is kind of surreal but I did it nonetheless- there is no turning back. I went in on Friday for a 1:00 surgery and came out seeing super. Okay, so fun fact about me- I sort of have a problem with fainting, it happens a lot. Well, now I have one more fainting experience to add to my list. Why don't I go down the list for you of all of the embarrassing moments that I have had when I suddenly pass out.
#1. High school P.E. testing. We had to run a timed a mile. When I was done, I sat down and passed out. I got to go home for that one!
#2. After giving blood.
#3. Getting a tattoo. Yes, I have a tattoo ya'll I got it when I was 17 and newly on my own. While I was sitting in the chair and they were etching a tattoo on my back hip, I took a nose dive and smacked my face on the ground. I got made fun of for that for a while.
#4. I gave plasma when I was in college to pay for food and such, 2x a week. I probably passed out about 5 different times while the needle was imbedded in my arm. I kept going back though, $40 week was a lot for a starving student.
#5. At work in the ER, I was witnessing and assisting with a central line, there was lots of blood, and the room was really hot. I suddenly hit the wall and slid down to the ground scaring the crap out the Doc and getting quite the bump on my noggin. For some reason no one asks me to assist them anymore. I still get made fun of for that one too.
#6. The latest........ so I am sitting in the opthamologists chair while he is making some marks on my eye(not exactly sure what he was doing). This is the last step before I go into the surgery and I think that I am getting really nervous. I had a stressful morning and didn't really get anything to eat. I suddenly start feeling kind of funny and I sit back and tell the opthamologist that I am feeling faint. The next thing I know I am waking up with a nasal cannula in my nose giving me oxygen, one guy holding my head back(apparently I was seizing) and the opthamologist holding my arms and straddling my leg to keep me still. Embarrassed much, Yes! It took a lot for me not to just get up and run out of there. Maybe I have permanent damage to my brain from all those times as a kid when we made each other pass out- I know stupid!
Anyway, I am amazed with the results! I am already seeing 20/20 and they say they will likely get even better over time. Isn't science amazing!
Am I the only one who has these fainting stories? Please tell me that some of you have had similar experiences?!

7 comments:

mamapickle said...

congrats on the new eyes! And you made me laugh with all the fainting stories. I only have one and it was very embarrasing. I was working in a dermatologist office and was in the room watching the doc stick a guys lip line before he removed some possible cancer. I have mouth issues and totally passed out to the floor and the doc picked me up and carried me into another room. oh and now I need to see your tat!

hoLLy said...

yea for lasik! i'm so happy to hear your eyes are on their way to perfection and that the procedure went so well(other than the fainting:)

i have never fainted, but have been soooo close several times. i somehow recovered each time, but everything was going dark and i remember my hearing getting all weird-like i'm in a tunnel and i can hear my heart beating so fast and pounding like its coming out of my chest. oh, and extreme nausea and my face turns super white. so, i guess that means i almost fainted? i loved reading fainting your stories. and i didn't know you were such a bad girl wendy-tat and all! now i think you are way cooler:) i'm with nicole-show us that tat girl!

Kari said...

Okay, I am jealous! I saw you at church today and wanted to ask you how it went! I am SO excited for you! You give me encouragement to do it for myself!
As for the fainting...yes, I went in to the doctor because I couldn't raise my shoulder. They gave me a steroid shot. Jordan was only 3 and she was with me...as we walked out of the office I was feeling a bit light headed. I went into the restroom to wash my face and sit down for a minute. I came walking out and BAM! Hit the floor....luckily the nurse was walking around the corner just as I was falling, so she helped break my fall. Jordan thought for sure I was dead. Yes, she was a bit tramatized! Come to find out I was actually pregnant! Who knew!

-Melissa- said...

that is so cool you got Laskik! I am totally jealous. Where did you get it done?

As for fainting, I have never fainted. Jared did when I was having Jace (don't tell him I told you that)! :)

Sarah said...

ahhh! that picture of the eye is the main reason i'm so scared of getting lasik done myself! ick. :)
that's kind of scary that you were seizing! it does sound like you've passed out a few times in your life :) i'm with the other girls - gotta see that tat now!
i've done my fair share of hitting the floor. i have low blood pressure, so any loss of blood makes me feel faint. at church as a teenager is my best story. i think the person who went to find my parents poked his head in every classroom, saying that i'd passed out, so everyone made a big deal about it. nice!

Jennalee said...

HA-larious! sorry, I don't remember fainting if I have...I was seeing serious stars taking Gabi on the Shockwave at 6 flags this weekend but didn't go completely out...but I sure enjoy your stories!!! :)
YAY on the lasic too!!! I'm totally jealous! one of these days..

The Balmer Family said...

Congrats Wendy!!! That is so great, except the fainting part. I miss you and hope to see you this summer!